Burton is a small village in the Cotswolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is about 8 miles west of Chippenham and lies in the Electoral Parish of Nettleton. There is a record of Burton dating back to AD 1204.
The most important building in the village of Burton is the Church of St Mary the Virgin, which is Grade 1 listed, and stands at the top of Church Hill.
Other old buildings include Chestnut Cottage, which used to be the old forge, and The Old Plume, which used to be the Plume of Feathers public house. Part of the Old Rectory, now a private house, dates from 1605, although in common with these other old buildings, it has been substantially extended and altered over the generations.There is an ancient causeway along the top of Church Hill. Click here to download the Cotswold Archaeology Report.
For more information on Burton refer to the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burton,_Wiltshire. There is a welcome booklet full of useful information for new residents – click here to download.
There is a Village Lunch on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month at St Mary’s, with a light lunch and good company. All are welcome, but please let Marje know you are coming; ring 01454 218072 or click here to email.
Regular village events each year include a Pancake Supper, a Village Fete, a Village Barbecue and an Advent Supper – see our Calendar page for details
Burton now has a monthly magazine, The Bugle, providing news and information about thevillage and the various projects run by the Burton Community Association (BCA). Back issues of the The Bugle can be downloaded from this website (see The Bugle page). Burton also lies in the distribution area for the Honeycomb community magazine, which covers 10 villages and nearby hamlets in the By Brook valley.
The village comes under the Nettleton Parish Council.