This is a message sent via Wiltshire and Swindon Community Messaging. This information has been sent on behalf of Wiltshire Police
Message sent by
Katie Bond (Police, Media Officer, Wiltshire)
Now the clocks have gone back, the nights are getting darker much earlier therefore we wanted to remind residents to check their home security and strengthen the weak spots as soon as possible.
A lot of burglaries can be prevented – most are committed by opportunist thieves. Burglars like easy opportunities so don’t give them an easy route in to your home.
– If you are out for the evening, leave lights on inside your house to give the impression somebody is home
– Consider lighting on timers on the outside of your property, or a motion activated light
– Ensure hedges and trees are cut back to avoid giving opportunists places to hide. Having an open aspect at the front of your property will enable neighbours or pedestrians to see anybody approaching your home.
– If you are going away, ask a trusted neighbour or friend to look after your home – collecting mail, closing and opening curtains etc.
– Be a nosy neighbour! If you see or hear any suspicious activity in your neighbourhood, call 101, or 999 if a crime is in progress. Try and also take down any suspicious vehicle registration details if possible.